Beer for Breakfast

Game Servers
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
1337 h4X0r
1337 h4X0r

Quote:
The Texas Board of Education, notorious for its past efforts to undermine the teaching of evolution in public schools, has now moved to revise the social studies curriculum to portray conservative ideas and movements in a more positive light and emphasize the role of Christianity in the nation’s founding.

It was a disturbing intervention by the board’s Republican majority into educational decisions best left to the teachers and scholars who have toiled for almost a year to produce the new curriculum standards.

Since January, the board has passed more than 100 amendments to the proposed standards for what will be taught in history, sociology, government and economics from elementary to high school over the next decade. On Friday, the board gave preliminary approval to the new standards by a 10-to-5 party-line vote. A final vote will be held in May, but it is unlikely to change anything substantial.

Some of the changes sound merely foolish, like replacing the word “capitalism” with the words “free-enterprise system.” One board member explained that the term capitalism has negative connotations, as in “capitalist pig.” Others are very worrisome, like questioning the doctrine of “separation between church and state” and dropping Thomas Jefferson, who coined the phrase, from a list of figures whose writings inspired political revolutions from the 1700s on.

From a practical standpoint, the board has inserted so many conservative figures, groups and concepts that must henceforth be studied that an already-long list of requirements may become unmanageable in the classroom time available.

Educators outside of the Lone Star State worry that Texas buys such a large number of textbooks that its requirements influence what publishers include in books that are marketed nationally. That should diminish as digital publishing makes it easier to alter textbooks from state to state. But even that is no comfort to the students in Texas. They deserve to have a curriculum chosen for its educational value, not politics or ideology.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/opinion/16tue3.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:37 pm 
1337 h4X0r
1337 h4X0r

Sounds like the conservatives are trying to get "the victor writes the history" while they can. If you dictate the history, you have to be the victor.

That said, I think mandated education requirements do exactly the opposite. You learn less than would have been useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
1337 h4X0r
1337 h4X0r

I wish my kid's schools would stop trying to teach MY kids about all this 'Jesus' and 'God' business. Do you know how hard I have to work on a weekly basis to make them unlearn this crap?

You killed Billy! You bastards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 am 
1337 h4X0r
1337 h4X0r

Yes, the NY Times hates Texas and Republicans and such and will put as negative a spin on things as they can.

That said, it's still bullshit what they're trying to push. I guess it takes a nudge every once in a while to remind you that for all it's awesomeness, Texas isn't perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:39 pm 
skr1pt kiddie
skr1pt kiddie

The schools in Texas are going down the drain. I'm actually pushing my mom to buy back time to retire so she can get out of there asap. I'm afraid they are going to start suing the teachers for not wearing bullet-proof jackets when the kids start shooting at them.